While searching for a sweet treat to make this week I came across this AMAZINGLY scrumptious recipe on The Curvy Carrot. Perfectly colored for Valentines Day..and did I mention that I LOVE all things cherry and chocolate! When I was younger cherry cordial milkshakes were my absolute favorite treat! Now that there are two little cherry / chocolate lovers in the house, I have to make these!
1 cup unsalted butter, softened, but still cool
1 cup powdered sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons maraschino cherry “juice” (add a little more if you are a cherry lover like me)
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
2 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup maraschino cherries, chopped (I added a little more b/c I wanted more of a cherry “pop”)
Granulated sugar, for sprinkling the cookies
36 milk chocolate kisses, unwrapped
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
2. In the bowl of your standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter at medium speed until creamy, about 1 minute.
3. Reduce the speed to the lowest setting and slowly add the powdered sugar and salt.
4. Add the cherry juice and the almond extract until combined.
5. With the mixer still on low, slowly add the flour, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
6. Increase the mixer speed to medium and add the cherries.
7. Shape the dough into 1-inch balls, and place the balls on a baking sheet, approximately 2 inches apart.
8. Using your thumb, gently press each cookie in its center until the cookie is about 1/2-inch thick.
9. Sprinkle each cookie with a little granulated sugar.
10. Bake the cookies until the bottoms are lightly browned, about 14 minutes.
11. Once removed from the oven, immediately press a chocolate kiss into each cookie’s center.
12. Transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
Thank you Shanon for sharing your delicious recipe!